Community Health Nursing is the synthesized nursing practices for promoting and protecting the health of the populations using knowledge from nursing, social and public health sciences.The Dhanvantri College of Nursing offers field experiences and community management skills to the students in the community through posting at Urban and Rural Areas, Primary Health Centres, Maternity Health Centre, ICDS Centres and various Schools in the Namakkal and Erode District. The students utilized the Dhanvantri Rural Community Health Centre at Allinayakkan Palayam in Namakkal District. The total population of the Allinayakkan Palayam village is 1900 population and its 6 Km far from Muniyapan Kovil. The village is covered by Padaiveedu PHC.
In Community Health Nursing posting the students were demonstrated the following characteristics and features:
- Promote, Protect and Preserve Health, Prevent Disease and Injury.
- Promote, Protect and Preserve the Environment That Contributes to Health.
- Advocate for the Healthy Public Policy and Schemes.
- Transforming Multiple Health Promotional Approaches That Build the Capacity of the Clients in the Community.
- Apply Evidence Based Nursing Process In Home Setup and Show Active Participation in Solving the Health Problems of Individual, Family and Promote the Health of the Whole Community.
- Conduct in Service Education to Health Workers to Improve the Quality of Services Delivery.
- Maintain Various Vital Health Records and Reports of the Family, Individual and Whole Community to Identify the Future Health Needs of Our Country.
- Conduct Community Based Research and Project for New Insights and Innovative Solutions to Health Problems.
- Cooperate, Coordinate and Collaborate with Community, Volunteers and NGO’s to Achieve Health For All Targets.
- Work With a High Degree of Autonomy to Build Strategies that will Address the Determinants of Health and Positively Impact People and their Community.
Activities of Community Department from Last Academic Year to Till Date (2012 – 13):
- Conducted Quiz regarding Control Of Communicable Disease among Second Year at DCON auditorium on 30.04.2012
- Conducted Breast Feeding Week Celebration at Elantha Kuttai PHC on 07.08.12
- Conducted School Health Programme at Natham Medu Elementary School on 08.08.12, Government Middle School at kumarapalayam on 27.08.12 and Government High School at Sowthapuram on 24.09.12
- Conducted world AIDS day awareness programme at Sri Rgaventhira metric higher secondary school on 01.12.12
- Conducted dengue awareness rally from Rajam theatre to Olapalayam Periyar Nagar followed by power point presentation done by the Natham Medu PHC’s Block Medical Officer at DCON Auditorium.
- Conducted Free Polio Camp at Elantha Kuttai PHC and Padai Veedu PHC on 10.01.13 and 12.01.13
- Conducted World Heart Day Celebration at Allinayakan Palayam Dhanvantri Community Health Centre on 22.02.13
- Conducted World Women’s Day Celebration At Government Primary School, Thathankuttai on 16.03.13
- Conducted Breast Feeding Week Celebration at Kallankaatuvalasu PHC on 07.08.13
- Conducted cervical cancer screening camp at Kumarapalayam Government Aringar Anna Marriage Hall on 14.08.13